Dolphins are such cute and intelligent animals and they are very easy to draw. If you want to learn how to draw a dolphin, keep scrolling!
Learning how to draw dolphins is surprisingly easy. I used to think this animal is hard to put on paper but when you realize that the body parts are just simple shapes, you’ll be drawing them expertly in no time.
In this tutorial, we will show you two easy ways on how to draw a dolphin. Even the least experienced will find this simple and the results will be great if you put your mind to it! But before anything else, here are some dolphin facts for you. 😉
- Dolphins are chatty animals. They make the most variety of sounds including clicks, whistles, squeaks, barks, yelps, and more. (source)
- They are intelligent species. Like apes and humans, dolphins have the ability to recognize themselves in a mirror.
- There are over 40 species of dolphins inhabiting the waters of the world. Five of these species live in freshwater rivers including the Amazon pink river dolphin in the Amazon river.
- Dolphins are carnivores. They eat a variety of fish, crustaceans, and squids.
- A large group of dolphins are called superpods and can be made p of up to 1000 or more dolphins.
Materials You Need
- Sketchbook or a piece of paper
- [Optional] Choice of art tools: Colored Pencil, Gel Pens, or Watercolor
How to Draw a Dolphin in Two Ways
The first step is to draw a slanting egg shape as shown below. This will be your guide for the shape of your dolphin.
Then inside that egg-shaped drawing, make an irregular concave line. This will be your dolphin’s body.
Now, draw these basic shapes as guides for the body parts of your dolphin. The small oblong at the right end will be your dolphin’s snout and the triangle on the other end will be your dolphin’s tail. Draw another triangle at the top for your dolphin’s fin. Then two ovals below that for the dolphin’s side fins.
Draw the details of your dolphin-like shown below. Define its tail, fins, and snout. Then give it an eye.
The last step is to erase your guidelines and darken the outline of your dolphin. And voila, you’ve drawn your dolphin!
This is optional but if you are feeling a bit more creative, you can color your dolphins. I used colored pencils to color mine!
Here’s a timelapse video of me drawing a dolphin:
The first step is to draw a circle. This will be the head of your dolphin.
Below the circle, draw a triangle that resembles a beak. This will be the snout of your dolphin.
The next step is to draw the body of your dolphin. Draw two curved lines and connect them on the tail end. This will look weird but trust in the process. These lines will just be your guides to draw your cute dolphin.
Start adding in the little details or your dolphin. Draw its tail and its fins.
Then refine those details.
Erase the guidelines and darken the outlines of your dolphin. And you’re done!
You can choose to ink and color your dolphins and use your favorite art mediums.
And that’s how you draw a dolphin! Easy right? With only 6 steps, you can learn how to draw a dolphin in no time!
I hope this tutorial has been helpful for you. Don’t forget to enjoy and have fun in the process!
View more of our drawing tutorials:
Visit our blog for more articles like this.